Sunday, April 15, 2012

Creative Commons Participation Assignment {Session 5}


 I would use the above image in my Comparative Religion course, WR 131. In the final unit of that course, we study the religion of Islam and one of the most important elements of that unit is an understanding of the most sacred structure in all of Islam. It is the Ka'ba, which serves as the point at which all Muslim prayer is directed. The Ka'ba carries great historic and religious value and I would include this photo as an illustration of how it is circumambulated during the holy pilgrimage to Mecca. Images of this sort are important to give students a sense of the living nature of religion and how ancient rituals and structures contribute to the sense of community that religions provide to practitioners.

Xmas - April 2012 032Here is the photo that I licensed through Creative Commons.  It seems like it has nothing to do with my world religion courses, but I have titled it "Free Will?"  I would use it as a jumping off point to discuss a most mind-boggling issue of whether religions really support the idea of humans having free will, or not.  It would work well in my Introductory to the Study of Religion course, WR 130. http://www.flickr.com/photos/79088041@N07/7080727387/   

No comments:

Post a Comment