Friday, April 6, 2012

Share: Learning Styles (Session 5 - Participation Task)

I'd say without a doubt, I am an auditory learner.  Reflecting back on my undergraduate and graduate education, I am certain of this.  I didn't really think about it at the time, but I have always preferred hearing about at topic than reading about it.  And, as a student this semester, I definitely find this to be the case.  I really like the videos and podcasts that are included in our course.  I have found most of the readings interesting, but it is just an area that is more "sluggish" to me.  I tend to understand a concept better when I hear it spoken and then, if I am having problems grasping that concept, it helps me to just talk it out.  In a situation wherein a teacher is in my physical presence, I find myself confirming what I have heard or read, by saying to the teacher, "...okay, let me just make sure I have this straight..." and then recounting my understanding to the concept in my own words.  This very act of talking it out seems to organize the concept in my mind.  Also, when I read something that is complex, I often stop, go back through the concept, and read it aloud.  This seems to seal it in my brain.  I can, obviously comprehend and retain what I read silently, but I prefer hearing information through my ears.  I do like the use of charts, graphs and such, as well as working hands-on when learning a concept as a ways of conceptualizing an idea, but a nice, thorough explanation, is always best for me. 

On the flip side, as an instructor, I realize that I cannot address every learning style in my classroom at every class meeting, but I do keep in mind that there are various types of learners trying to learn in my class.  I focus on organization of the material and incorporating many delivery methods of the material, without making the ideas convoluted.  In my campus classes, I use "the big screen" for showing web destinations, Power Point slides(only occasionally), large group discussion, small group discussion, giving students plenty of opportunities to speak, and hands-on activities, my favorite being our "clay day" when I ask students to make a creation out of clay in order to understand a complex metaphysical concept within Hinduism.  And, often, I use good old fashion chalk and chalk board.  Also, I try to list what we will be discussing that day before the discussion begins and also to keep the list organized into three main ideas.  As an instructor, I should be aware that not every person learns like I do.  My plan is that each student gets enough of his/her type of learning style incorporated into the class so learning is happening for all.  And, I do think that every student should be exposed to receiving information in a variety of formats, i.e. visually, verbally as well as kinetically, as this will hopefully help to build learning skills in other areas for them.  So, if I can focus on presenting the material in a variety of ways, then hopefully all students will have a fulfilling learning experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment