Friday, October 26, 2012

Part D - Findings and Implications of WPP

Unfortunately, my WPP did not get implemented as planned.  I wanted to have the entire PlagiarismBeGone website complete this semester for students to use immediately.  I finished a good deal of it, but still have many pages, tabs and ideas to integrate.  As the deadline for this assignment was nearing closer, I decided to get the most basic information out there for students to use.  Even though this wasn't my plan and I only did it to meet the requirement for my CEP 812 course, it really ended up being the absolute best plan for my project overall.  Firstly, I got some good information out there about two weeks prior to a Mid-Term research paper deadline for a section of students.  This particular section needs the information more than any other section I have ever had in history.  So, I'm glad I got some information to them in time for them to use for their papers.  And, I don't think I can tolerate that much more plagiarism, so this is really good for my sanity, as much as it is for their grades and general understanding.  Additionally, getting part of the project implemented means I won't just keep waiting and waiting until it is "complete" because when is that?  I plan to keep adding material over time, so there really is no end date.  This keeps me on task.  Also, I have already received some really good feedback from students regarding the functionality, appearance and usefulness of the site, which I wouldn't have received had I waited to go public with the site.  That feedback will guide me as I go forward in developing the website.  Sometimes, unplanned circumstances end up being better than the planned ones...this is the case here.

I do already feel that the PlagiarismBeGone website has been successful on some levels.  I have seen noticeable improvements on assignments as it relates to plagiarism and proper citation since encouraging my students to visit the site.  Not all work has been perfect, but I can see that they are attempting to work in more quotation marks, proper citation and...yes...I can hardly believe I am writing this...Bibliographies.  Yes!  Seriously, I have seen improvement in just a couple of weeks.  I'm very, very happy with this.  The real test will be the Mid-Term papers...fingers crossed!  Also, I sent out a survey to my students asking questions about the usefulness, functionality and additional materials they would like to see on the site.  Most students indicated that the information was useful, that it is was easy to access and easy to understand.  Almost all of them indicated that the site had improved their understanding of plagiarism in general as well as methods of citation.  Even if I only reach half of them, I'll feel successful.  Most students indicated they will use the information contained in the website this semester and also in future semesters and would recommend the site to a friend. :)  They have also given specific feedback as to what other information could be utilized by them.  {***********One comment in particular stated that the site "needs more resources", which I do plan on adding, while another mentioned that more "Examples of plagiarism" would be beneficial.********}  Again, I hardly believe I am typing this, but I actually think they are glad they have the source and hope that it can serve them beyond just this class.  Wow!  If that isn't success for a teacher, I don't know what is. {********** One student said, "I think she pretty much nailed everything there was to get about plagiarism. Everything from quoting to paraphrasing was mentioned including potential consequences of plagiarism that were initially considered harmless."  This is a really good quote!  My students are so eloquent...LOL!  There is more.  Another student said, "I think that it pretty much covered plagiarism. Job well done Tracy!"  How do I get such great students?  ***************}

I'm not sure I would change anything about the manner in which I implemented the PlagiarismBeGone website, at this point, anyway.  I have learned so much from the bumps in the road that I am glad I encountered them.  What I will change, however, is that I will require this content to be covered beginning next semester.  Although this is not my subject area, I am now finding that this is such an important topic, that I will integrate this into the curriculum of each and every class that I run from now on.  For my online classes, next semester, I am going to develop a packet that will cover plagiarism, copyright law and citation methods the first week of class.  Students will be responsible for the material in some form of an assessment at the end of the week and, I will expect very good citation methods to be employed on each and every assignment in the course.  Even though plagiarism has little to do with my curriculum of World Religions, I don't feel that I am doing my job as an instructor, if I don't at least expose students to that which can be their ultimate downfall, which of course, is plagiarism.  At this point, I think it is important enough to re-work my courses to allow for some good lessons on proper citation methods and how to avoid plagiarism.

The lesson that another person may benefit from knowing about my experience with this Wicked Problem is that maybe we should make all our Wicked Problems into Projects.  I have been bothered by plagiarism for so long, frustrated with the lack of knowledge of students on the topic, and concerned that I am not doing enough to help the situation.  So, when this WPP was presented to me, I took the most wicked of my problems and began to tackle it.  The final product has not come to fruition yet, but I have already witnessed some benefits.  Students are getting the message, attempting to apply the information they are learning and telling me what else they would like to know about this topic.  Taking on my Wicked Problem has really made it less wicked.  I feel better about the where my students are getting good information and know that I can send them to a place that will provide a solution to this problem for them and for me.  My advice would be to think of every Wicked Problem as a project and work toward a solution...even if it isn't perfect at first.  The amount of work put in to developing a good WPP, will certainly outweigh the amount of work put out previous to the WPP being implemented.

I will definitely endeavor to repeat this process again.  Firstly, as stated above, the PlagiarismBeGone Weebly is going to be a part of each and every class I hold from here on out.  I will continue to develop this site and require that students are responsible for this information in my courses.  In another way, I plan to take on more of my Wicked Problems in a similar fashion.  I may not create websites, but I will strive to use the technology tools that are at my disposal to provide students with knowledge that is presented in a clear, practical platform that will serve as a positive learning experience that they will benefit from in my class, future classes, and in their professional environments.  How I carry out such a project may change, depending on the need, but what won't change, is my determination to not let Wicked Problems get the best of me and my students.




No comments:

Post a Comment